How and when should I take my supplements?
2 min read
One of the most common
themes for questions asked through the Just Vitamins Nutrition Advice line is related
to getting the maximum benefit from a supplement, and more specifically “when
in the day should I take my supplement?”
- Water soluble vitamins (e.g. the B Vitamins and Vitamin C) need to be taken with water.
- Fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E and K) need to be taken with some fat, this could be as little as a glass of semi-skimmed milk.
- Supplements should be taken with food (except for amino acids, when
you should leave a 2 hour break)
- Take mineral supplements after your evening meal as the body’s bio-absorption
efficiency is best at night.
- Maintaining consistent intake is key so find a routine that suits you. Maybe with your breakfast at home or
your mid morning break at work. You may want to leave some supplements at
work and at home, so you don’t forget at weekends.
- For maximum absorption spread the dosage throughout the day.
break tablets up, but if you have to take four capsules of one supplement,
then you could take two earlier in the day, then two later on.
- If you miss taking your supplement, or miss a whole day, then don’t
try to ‘catch up’ by taking a bunch in one go. Just stick to your daily
routine and continue on as usual. You will undoubtedly do more harm than
good by taking too many at once.
To be avoided
Never take herbs with prescribed or ‘over the counter’ drugs, speak
to your doctor first or the technical advice line of the company who is supplying
- Follow the recommended intake advice on the label
- Prescribed medication and supplements, especially herbs should not
be taken together.
- If you have any doubts about the supplement you are taking, stop
and seek technical advice from your GP or another reputable source.
A healthy balanced diet is the best way to consume all the nutrients we need. Sometimes however this isn't possible and then supplements can help. This article isn't intended to replace medical advice. Please consult your healthcare professional before trying any supplements or herbal medicines.